11.22.2010

Heavy Lifting

In what is not our most conventional endorsements: powerlifter and longboarder extraordinaire, Peter Weinrauch, recently got on a pair of our B43 track wheels to use as a training aid and alternative to his normal routine. He recently sent us an email about his new ride and on winning a recent competition.

MD interviewed Peter via email a week or so ago and what follows are some of the highlights:

MD - Do you have any specifics you can give about the competition you won? Maybe a little background on your power lifting career.

PW - I’ve been powerlifting for close to 3 years but I’ve been dedicated to the gym for close to 7. In my sophomore year of high school, I started waking up at 4am to get to the gym at 5am. Now, it’s the only way I know how to start my mornings; a workout is like my coffee you could say.

My last competition was in late October. I competed in the State meet for Michigan which was held in my hometown in Flint. There were over 70 competitors. I placed first in my division, which is the 148 lb weight class, junior age group; it ranges from ages 20-23.

There are very few competitors in my division, simply because most people who are 20-23, and even younger for that matter, don’t weigh less than 148 lbs. I weigh in for competitions at no more than 142 lbs. People have to take this into account when thinking about strength and the sport of powerlifting.

Many people hear about pro-scouted football players being measured in terms of strength through certain lifts like the bench press. If you weigh 350 lbs, you damn well better bench press 225 lbs at least 30 times. That would be like someone asking me to bench press more than 100 lbs less than my body weight, which is something like a joke that a 16 year old girl could lift with one arm.

Though, if you asked the average person to bench press twice their body weight, you might get answers like “dude, no way.” Just think, if you are close to 200 lbs, then would you be able to bench press lose to 400 pounds with a pause at the top and the bottom of the lift? That is where strength comes into play.

Riding my bike helps me maintain my health and my competition weight while improving upon my strength as well.

MD - How and why do you use your track bike for training?

PW - Training with my bike is by far the most enjoyable form of training that I utilize. I have a few spots mapped out around my city that I use for sprint-paced training. These spots are anywhere from 2 miles to 10 miles from my home. A session of training, or what I like to call fun, involves me making the journey out to the area for sprints, spending a while tearing it up in that area, then making the journey back home.

There are certain areas that have nice wide bike lanes where I like to race cars. I’ll wait for a car to take off from a four way intersection, and then try and keep up or pass the person driving; this is the best way to get people to look at your bike, just so you know.

MD - Tell us a little about your new ride. Frame, cranks, any special parts?

PW - My old bike was a 1960’s Schwinn frame that had a freewheel hub. I converted it into a fixed gear bike, but the thing weighed a ton and the gearing on the thing was pretty tiny.

I built up a Leader 725TR so I can have something more dependable, fast, and worthwhile to train on. This thing has over 100 gear inches, so it’s super beneficial for my leg strength and endurance, and it can outrun most wild cheetahs as well. I wasn’t too particular on any parts when piecing it together, I just knew that I wanted a big chain ring, nice sturdy bars that I could squeeze on comfortably, and some foot retention so I could really drive down with each and every pedal.

MD - Why do you choose Velocity wheels?

PW - Not only do my white Velocity B43’s turn every head that goes by, whether it be a cyclist, a driver, or a person walking a dog, the things roll fast and steady. The B43’s that I have are laced to the solid flange Velocity track hubs which also seem to roll like thunder, but without the noise. Good thing my wheels look so nice, or else people wouldn’t even notice me riding by on my white and black stealth bomber.

On another note, Velocity wheels are made by people who care about cycling plus the athletes and general riders who enjoy their products. The wheels are all hand built in two of the greatest places in the world, Australia and the USA. As a product of the USA myself, I am proud to ride on something that is of such high quality, and reflective of the hard work that can be found in the US/AUS manufacturing industry. Not everything has to be “only assembled or designed” in our domestic countries, give Asia a break and let the US/AUS build you something nice.

MD - What are your hopes for the future?

PW - More than anything, I hope that my last quarter of college schooling goes by fast. To help it fly by, I will continue to ride my bike, train for powerlifiting, compete when I can, and enjoy the breeze while my Velocity wheels spin underneath me.

When school is done, I’ll be teaching a classroom full of students, and they’ll be the first to know what a real bike looks like. They’ll also know that doing what you love is a great way to compensate and balance out the times that make you feel like curling up into a ball and letting the world beat you down with a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment