5.09.2012

Fort Custer Stampede: A tribute to the Bottle Trap


This past weekend the Velocity sponsored, SWMMBA hosted Fort Custer Stampede mountain bike race went off down in Battle Creek, MI, about 90 minutes south of Velocity HQ.  Our very own Jeff Jacobi of Founders/Alger Racing managed quite well, aided in no small part by an often overlooked bicycle component.  Here's his report, a tribute to our Bottle Trap.  Available in 13 colors and guaranteed to have your bottle there when you need it most.

This last weekend I was going to take part in the Fort Custer Stampede. Unfortunately, I was not going to have any support from anyone handing off bottles.  If you’re a multi lap racer you know that a good hand off person is a vital part of your survival and mental status.  Normally my lovely wife is my trusty partner in this game.  But, for this weekend she had plans as well.

 So, I was on my own. My strategy was to use a cage mounted to the back of my seat post and also have one in my frame and one in my back jersey pocket. Yeah, that’s a lot of water.  Well, I was going 38 miles off road and through some of the roughest stuff around.

As we lined up for the race, I noticed several fellow racers with exotic carbon cages and I thought to my self "Gosh, I wonder how well they hold a bottle?"  If you have ever ridden off road you may have, at some point, lost a bottle out of your cage.  I know I have.  I used to use one of those fancy 20 gram carbon cages...I used to think that a few grams off a cage would make my race bike better and lighter.  But, I was terribly wrong!!  Those exotic cages don’t hold a bottle worth a darn!  You can’t go fast by picking up your lost bottles.

Enter the Velocity Bottle Trap!   I have been using them since they were first introduced a few years ago.  And let me tell you, I have NEVER!!!! lost a bottle out of one.  And that is no lie.

Now you might think whoop de do!    That’s not that impressive.  The fact is I ride a fully ridged CX mountain bike, and ride it like a bat out of hell.  My poor bike takes some serious abuse during a race and a bottle cage is the last thing I worry about.   Well, this last week they paid for themselves ten fold.  I seriously think they were my saving grace.

You see I was battling it out with a fellow racer as we came through the transition area for the last time.  To his dismay his bottle person was M.I.A.  He didn’t have enough water to get him through another 9.5 miles and his mental status was blown.  I knew I was sitting pretty with enough water to go the distance.  Well needless to say, he fell off the pace and I finished ahead of him...all because of the Velocity Bottle trap.  They did their job and did it well through some of the toughest torture.

Now you may think, well they're not light enough.  Well think again, they're only 30 grams!  Compare that to one of those fancy cages!  I would put our trap up against the most expensive cage on the market and I know ours would do a better job of holding a bottle than the fancy ones.  And for gosh sakes what’s ten grams?  I use to think that was a deal breaker, but you have to finish to win.  And you can’t finish with out a bottle of water.

So if you’re a rider that demands performance out of your products, you may want to look at a Velocity Bottle Trap.  They truly live up to their name.


No comments:

Post a Comment